Monday, April 1, 2013

copyright reflection


From reading this article, I have learned that there are options other than the one where all rights are reserved. I knew that some creators will share their work freely with no rights reserved, but that does not benefit all creators. It is nice to know that Creative Commons created a way for both creators and  users to compromise without going through the hassle of citing the insignificant. I also learned about Plagiarism.org, which can REALLY come in handy when it comes down to debating the specifics of what should and shouldn't be cited. 
I saw the importance of the subject of copyrights before making a stop animation video, when writing papers and such, but it was especially evident in making the video. There wouldn't have been a video to make at all if not for the website that explained the steps of the formation of a star, which was the subject of the video. Not citing that website would be equivalent to claiming that we knew the subject information on our own, when we actually learned it from a website. That website demands recognition. And that is how I will teach my future students. I will give them the websites that will help them in making decisions about when and how to cite, and I will explain that unless their information came from their own knowledge, they must state from where it came.

Megan Singleton

No comments:

Post a Comment